If you’re looking for a career that helps make a difference in the lives of others, then we encourage you to apply for Person in Charge role in Marian House Respite Home which provides residential respite services for people with dementia. The home is a recently refurbished twelve bed unit which provides person-centred respite breaks of either one or two weeks at a time.
This is a permanent full time post – 35 hours per week. If you have experience in a management capacity in the health and social care area and experience in nursing older persons, this may be the nursing role for you.
If you want to work in an environment that is challenging and rewarding then this opportunity may be the right fit for you!
Position: Person in Charge.
Contract Type: Permanent Full Time.
PIC will have a lead role in the implementation of HIQA regulations as well as local and national policies to ensure best care and practice. The PIC will ensure that services are provided in a person-centred manner in accordance with the National Quality Standards for Residential Care Settings for Older People in Ireland and will have a pivotal role in service planning, coordinating and managing activity and resources within the clinical area. The main responsibilities are; quality assurance, resource management, staffing and staff development, practice development, facilitating communication and professional/clinical leadership.
Duties & Responsibilities
The PIC will:
· Have a lead role in the effective governance, operational management and administration of the service with a particular emphasis on effective clinical leadership and care of the residents.
· Ensure a holistic model of care for service users which is consistent with a person centred approach.
· As the Person in Charge within Western Alzheimers, he/she will have an in depth knowledge of HIQA standards and the regulations underpinning the standards as they apply to older people services
· Be responsible for the coordination, assessment, planning and implementation & review of care for service users in adherence to standards.
· Manage resources, lead the team and be accountable for nursing activity and outcomes of care.
· Function as a role model, promote best practice in the delivery of care and provide clinical expertise and support.
· Encourage a culture of openness and participation through effective communication.
· Ensure that an environment is created that is conducive to the wellbeing of the residents and staff.
· Initiating, maintaining and co-ordinating care and treatment for residents in the Centre.
· Promote independence and the individuality of each resident placing an emphasis on their socialisation and quality of life within residential setting.
The PIC will:
· Exercise authority in the running of the centre as assigned by the CEO.
· Provide the necessary coordination and deployment of nursing and support staff in the designated area of responsibility, ensuring that skill mix takes account of fluctuating workloads and ensuring maximisation of available resources.
· Assess and monitor trends through collection and analysis of activity and data and keep ADON / Nursing Staff informed of change in work patterns which may require increased resource allocation.
· Collaborate with the CEO in preparing/implementing and evaluating budget and service plans for the clinical area.
· Cooperate in the managing of all resources including nursing and non-nursing staff within a budget.
· Keep up to date with any changes in legislation including but not limited to the Health Sector, and Health & Safety etc.
Education and Training
The PIC will:
· Engage in continuing professional development by keeping up to date with nursing literature, recent nursing research and new developments in nursing management, education and practice and to attend staff study days as considered appropriate.
· Participate in the identification, development and delivery of induction, education, training and development programmes for nursing and non- nursing staff.
· Provide support and supportive supervision to Nurses and Health Care Support staff where appropriate.
· Engage in performance review processes including personal development planning as appropriate.
· Provide a high level of professional and clinical leadership.
Health and Safety
The PIC will:
· Play a central role in maintaining a safe environment for residents, staff and visitors e.g. by contributing to risk assessment.
· Assist in observing and ensuring implementation and adherence to established policies and procedures e. g. health and safety, infection control, storage and use of controlled drugs etc.
· Observe, report and take appropriate action on any matter which may be detrimental to resident care or wellbeing/may be inhibiting the efficient provision of care.
· Adhere to policies in relation to the care and safety of any equipment supplied for the fulfilment of duty.
· Liaise with other relevant staff e.g. Infection control, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist re appropriateness for procurement of equipment.
The PIC will:
· Be actively involved in the identification and management of risk
· Assess risk utilising the local risk management processes as outlined in risk management policy documents.
· Complete and review action plans pertaining to risk.
· Complete near miss and incident documentation.
· Provide learning to staff from incidents and near misses.
Eligibility Criteria Qualifications & Experience
· Registered in the general division of the register of nurses maintained by NMBI (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland)
· 5 Years post registration experience, 3 of which must be within the area of older persons.
· A post registration management qualification in Health or related field (This requirement can be satisfied by a standalone programme or a competed module. The module may form part of a larger programme of study or be included in the award).
· Evidence of consistent updating of clinical skills and knowledge.
· Previous experience in the area of care of older persons.
· Competent IT skills
· Demonstrate coaching & development skills within clinical practice.
Application deadline: 2.7.21
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
The Salary and Benefits offered with this Contract will depend on experience.
Person in Charge. Marian House Respite Home
Ballindine, Claremorris, Co. Mayo. F12 C950 Apply with your CV to : email@example.com
For further details phone Pat Holmes on 087 277 7073